A late 19th century military travel chest affiliated to Major W.H Walker (William Walker later made honorary colonel of the militia artillery on 15th February 1899) W:75cm D:49cm H:53cm The chest features heavy cast handles and a hand painted embellishment 'Major W.H Walker Royal Lanchahsire Artillery Milita Liverpool' to its top. The Royal Lancashire Artillery had been formed under the 1852 reorganisation, Lancashire was one of the counties selected to have a corps of militia artillery. By the time of the unit's first training period in October 1853,15 officers had been commissioned and 510 men enrolled in six batteries, with headquarters at Iiverpool Several of the officers had previous service with Regular artillery or infantry regiments. The chest will have been used to move personnel good to and from battlefields.
19th Century Military Chest